Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 12 October 2009

Jubilee Park 12/10/2009

Dropped into Jubilee Park on the way home from work (17:00 - 18:00) to have look if anything on the pool. There was, but nothing exciting. A pair of Shoveler on the pool was unexpected, 10 Wigeon and 17 Lapwing were nice, whereas a few Coots, Mallards and 300 Canada Geese weren't. A smart Grey Wagtail flitted past along the River Soar, a small flock of Goldfinches tinkled over, and a spanking male Sparrowhawk had to work to evade a belligerent Crow. The Jackdaw roost was again evident, conservative estimate of 120 birds before I left (impossible to count as they kept having a mass fly around every few minutes whilst more were arriving). There was precisely zero Blackpoll Siskins Warblers and Brown Shrikes.

4 comments:

Stewart said...

Oh I love lightly veiled cynicism...:)

Skev said...

Cycnical? Moi! ;-)

I really am cynical about these reports of a 'possible' that never come to anything. If I was ever lucky enough to find a real mega, I would want to make absolutely bloody sure that it was nailed and confirmed before troubling the news services.

The shrike is another matter - I am un-hanging my twitching boots in the morning (couldn't go today - not like the old days when I had no work and family responsibilities!). If I dip I will promptly hang them back up.

Stewart said...

Is there a Red backed Shrike there too? The pager has me confused?

Skev said...

(per Birdguides) It was reported as a Red-backed on Sunday and again on Monday morning, then as a possible Brown on Monday before being alerted as definite Brown. Yesterday there was a Great Grey there aswell for a short while but that scarpered.

'Possible' Hooded Warbler in Cornwall .....