Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Friday 17 July 2020

Super Grass Man

In a very short venture down the lane this evening, I've scored a splendid two for one. I've discovered / remembered that roadside verges along lanes through arable fields offer a chance to find some errant self-set self-sustaining crop plants. I was already minded to have a look at some grasses down there, given that they are particularly abundant, unkempt and uncut this year. A browse through our local Naturespot resource showed a few possible species I could look for, and one of them was this ....

Triticum aestivum (Bread Wheat)

I found a few clumps and took some crappy shots with my phone in the fading light - not quite in focus but you get the gist. Notice how the upper most leaf looks a bit yellow? Well, I didn't initially, but then on another clump I noticed this ....

.... which after a bit of research is Puccinia striiformis (Wheat Stripe Rust)

I've got a few bits to look at. I don't like grasses, but hey, a man's gotta do ....


Great tune, great film (at the time), shite pixelated YouTube upload!

2 comments:

Steve Gale said...

There’s no stopping you at the moment Skev...

Skev said...

Nah, I'm just enjoying the release from the workplace pressures and looking at stuff I've deliberately igmored for years.