Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 11 July 2020

Attraction

My luck from yesterday didn't hold out for long. This morning, I left home in bright sunshine and it looked like it was shaping up to be a bright warm day - perhaps perfect for looking for big butterflies. To give myself the best chance, I even decided to go out of county to a renowned site, though I didn't actually have any gen. The target was Purple Emperor, and the site was Fermyn Wood in Northants. A quick look at a map for the site showed a 'nature trail' at the far eastern end of the wood, well away from the main car park and - in all likelihood - families and kids. I guessed that was as good a place to head as any. When I arrived there were plenty of cars, but not much evidence of people along the main track.


It was busy with many common butterflies, plus a good ten or so Silver-washed Fritillaries. I managed to get a few passable shots of the latter - not exactly stunning but better than any I've got before.


Purple Hairstreaks also up in the oak canopy, and several large dragonflies that resolutely patrolled around without landing. Of course I was without a net, I figured it would be a bit provocative wandering around with one at a place where people are likely to turn up to photograph butterflies. Shame really as I think a few good sweeps of the plentiful flowering plants in the margins would have been productive. After a couple of hours of failing to see anything remotely enigmatic, with the skies turning more cloudy by the minute, I bumped into a nice bloke who gave me site gen and also affirmed that after the shite weather at the end of June / early July the peak season was a washout - hardly any seen and all but over. Bugger.

I'm not normally bothered about butterflies really, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. I like to see new species, but I'm not going to start driving up and down the country specifically to do so. But I've decided I want to see Purple Emperor. All the talk of 'His Imperial Majesty' etc seems a bit over the top though, especially for a species that is finds a pile of dog shit more attractive than a nice flower. Next year maybe.

Having given up on the butterfly, I thought that I may as well stick out the new lure whilst I was there. After five minutes or so, I noticed something .... blow me, there's a Lunar Hornet Moth ....


I had no expectation of seeing them at this site, and with no net I only managed record shots. Two turned up, one settled briefly on hand.


After this success, I headed back to VC55 but on the way the weather started to turn more fully overcast. By the time I arrived it was pretty dull. I tried the lure at three sites without attracting anything, and decided quit whilst ahead. Of course by the time I got home the sun came out. I'll try again tomorrow morning at a better time/site.

I've scanned and photographed some of the mines from yesterday. A few are/were tenanted which is the priority. The trouble is that once mines are collected, it's a lottery as to whether the larva stay in situ or bail out. One of the more interesting mines (ie new for me!) was a gallery mine on willow - a classic Stigmella-looking mine with a larva in it. I grabbed a bit of video of the larva through the microscope yesterday evening ....



By this afternoon though the mine was empty, though there is a pupal cocoon on the side of the leaf so perhaps I'll get to see the adult too. The shape of the mine and frass dispersal fits Stigmella obliquella nicely.

No comments: