Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Tuesday 5 January 2021

(Re)Liking Lichens

Well, who'd of thunk it. Surely everyone is as amazed as me that we're back into a National lockdown, when the ridiculously convoluted, ever-changing and rapidly escalating Tiers that were announced and rolled out were working so well ....

To be honest though, I expected the bumbling scarecrow to dither about it for another few days and I was planning on heading out today using my restored driving ability to look at one or two decent county birds: Red-necked Grebe at Cropston Res, redhead Smew at Swithland Res and - hopefully - an Iceland Gull at Watermead CP South which has been seen alongside that blasted hybrid I found. All relatively short distances, all well within the previously designated Tier 4 Leicestershire and nowhere near any lesser-infected County. Of course as soon as an immediate lockdown was announced my plan went out of the window. I could have gone, and I'm sure there would be no consequence, but that's not the point.

Probably just as well then that my main focus this year was bashing my local square on foot. The new lockdown rules allow local exercise, but not recreation. Quite where using binoculars and cameras fit in with this is probably a moot point. But if spandex wankers can run and cycle for miles breathing out heavily as they pass any compliant pedestrian, and dog walkers can carry those stupid tennis-ball flinging sticks, I'm quite happy to argue the toss. Sticking local, on foot and keeping well away from people whilst watching a bird or pointing the camera at something seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's not like my square-bashing brings me into contact with many other people, like if I lived on the coast where everyone local is (legitimately) walking along the beach or next to a reservoir that everyone local is (legitimately) walking around.

I've not posted for a couple of days as Sunday was predominantly taken up with a (covid compliant social bubble) meal with my Mum, though I managed to find one or two bits in the garden including the first beetle for the year - Nebria brevicollis. Yesterday I logged on to work for a bit before helping to de-Christmas the house. I also did a couple of odd-jobs in the house, a measure of how relatively great I'm feeling physically. On neither day was a Dunnock noted in the garden.

Today though I managed to head out for a decent walk in the square. Whilst I had no intention of recording across all orders this year, at least in the winter months when there are precious few insects to even think about without some vigorous effort I am taking more notice of stuff that I've tended to ignore for the last few years. With the prospect of getting out anywhere away from the immediate locality looking slim for the next couple of months I need to grab every bit of interest from I can from the square.

So today for example, in between a flock of Feral Pigeons, a Mistle Thrush, a Kestrel and seeing or hearing several Dunnocks (at last), I remembered to look at some common lichens. Looking at them and remembering what they are are not the same thing, however I knew that on lots of the smooth-barked trees I could find at least three species - and probably find them right next to each other. Like this in fact ....

Lecidella elaeochroma (green arrow), Lecanora chlarotera (blue arrow) and Arthonia radiata (red arrow). All three on several trees around Whetstone Meadows.

The area I'm calling Whetstone Meadows (to differentiate in my records from the larger Countesthorpe Meadows) doesn't look anything like that the name suggests at the moment. Back in 2013, and more recently, this has been quite a luxurious grassy area with plenty of flowering plants and insect life until the farmer/landowner gets the mower out in late spring and again in the late autumn (I suspect it's grown for sileage). However currently looks like it was very close-mown before the winter. Hopefully it will come back to life in the spring though.



On the above shot, some might recall that the lump just next to the hedge on the right is a cut-down basal chunk of a large ash tree. In 2013 I found a few beetles on it including Scarce Fungus Weevil around a cluster of Cramp Balls, and I've found several in the same spot over the last few years. Today though no sign of any fresh balls - wonder if the log has just gone past its best.

Whilst out, I also remembered that concrete fence posts might host a few lichen species, but these will have to be homework for another day ....



I headed home after a couple of hours walking. The shot below looks roughly north over the fields that are east of Springwell Lane with the 'Copse' just out of shot to the right. The majority of the visible housing is the newest part of the estate.


Just after taking this shot, I noted a large raptor floating over the nearest farm building and drifting towards me. I assumed Buzzard, but as it banked slightly I lifted my bins to enjoy a cracking Red Kite that eventually circled a bit and then went directly over me. Of course the big-lens camera was at home.

Meanwhile, as we're guided into Covid Oblivion by the fucking clowns in charge, here's something to listen to and watch. Turn your lights off, turn the volume up and enjoy. Or not, cause like you can make your own choices ....

3 comments:

Ali said...

Lecanora albescens for the big white one?

Skev said...

Quite possibly, certainly looks Lechanora.

Steve Gale said...

This post had me laughing out loud in a few places Mark! All the best for Monday.