Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 21 September 2020

A Bit Rusty

You'd think I'd been nowhere, stuck at home seeing nothing. Well actually I have, I've just not made time been arsed to blog about it. The only day I didn't go anywhere was Saturday when a bout of electrical DIY on some kitchen lighting took longer than I anticipated.

On Thursday I had a walk along another stretch of disused railway line, this one at Crow Mills Way between Countesthorpe and South Wigston ....

On Friday afternoon I had a walk around Beacon Hill over in the Charnwood area ....

And yesterday I had a walk around Fosse Meadows, but I didn't bother with any shots from there as it was a brief visit between chores and televised football lacking soul.

On all three walks I was primarily focussed on leaf mines, and found a decent number of species but (as yet) nothing new identified. I also found a few galls, and a few rusts / micro-fungi that as yet I've either ignored or drawn a blank. I am sure that all of these will be common and should/could be named, but .... I can feel a copy of this coming on ....

Here are a few that are in a pending file ....

On Dogwood

On Ulmus sp.

On Rosa sp.

On Silver Birch

On lime

On bramble

6 comments:

Gibster said...

Have a look at Cercospora microsora for the lime spot.

Skev said...

I'd looked at Mycosphaerella microsora (same sp.) but there is a complete lack of records in and around central England which is odd given how common limes are here. But that could well be reflective of the lack of recording. I think I'd need to get a specimen checked out, but you're right it looks spot on (pun intended).

martinf said...

I have that book but have yet to properly look at it. If lock down continues I may just have :o

Gibster said...

The British Mycological Society are the guys to go to regards weird stuff like spots on leaves, but they don't contribute to NBN, hence there are huge gaping holes in the true distributions of most of the more 'obscure' microfungi. E&E is good for a prod in the right direction, but taxonomically it's way behind current nomenclature (so you need to be ready to chase down synonyms almost every time you open it) and it's also massively non-comprehensive. So saying, it's still a great book but you do need to be aware of its limitations.

Skev said...

Any alternative recommendations Seth before I put my hand in my pocket?

Gibster said...

Only that you don't put your hand in my pocket...