Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 22 June 2020

Yeah, Right!

I managed to look at a couple of small beetles last night; a weevil that I'd not got around to and a flea beetle that I'd forgotten about.

The weevil was, in the end, straightforward. It always helps when you manage to sweep them from a particular plant, and this one came from Meadow Crane's-bill. Imagine my joy when Googling 'weevil on meadow crane's-bill' brought up identical black weevils with a small raised 'neck' called Meadow Crane's-bill Weevil ....

Zacladus geranii

The flea beetle was not straightforward. I actually had four in a pot that all came from sweeping Viper's Bugloss at Ketton Quarry. I was checking for Mogulones geographicus but ended up with a net absolutely heaving with lots of what appeared to be the same flea beetle. As far as I can tell they're one of the Longitarsus spp., and a bit of trawling shows up a species pair that could well be in eastern VC55 on Viper's Bugloss - L. aeneicollis and L. nasturtii, either of which would I think be new to VC55 ....

I can hear you shouting from here: 'Longitarsus - yeah, right!'. I could be way off in all respects - either not Longitarsus, or just one of the polyphageous spp. Internet images of the Longitarsus spp. seem to be all over the place which does not help. Anyway I got a couple over to Graham Finch today who is hopefully much better placed to get an ID one way or another.



1 comment:

martinf said...

*goes to sweep meadow cranesbill....

I dissect all Longitarsus as a matter of course. The keys are bloody awful