Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Wednesday 13 March 2019

Pirates of the Caribbean

Back in late Nov 2018 and early Dec 2018, we enjoyed a great couple of weeks cruising around the Lesser Antilles in the west Caribbean - as you do when you've turned 50. It was strictly leisure, sun and relaxation. Except when I pointed the camera at anything alive with feathers or scales.

One of the birds I was really hoping to see, but without expectation, was Magnificent Frigatebird. A huge hulking pirate somehow managing to carry the grace of a Red Kite. Anyway, I didn't need to hope too much, they were on just about every island we visited and often the first bird I saw as we approached the dock. Not that I got any particularly good shots with my point and shoot bridge.

Frigatebird. Magnificent.

Without really trying, I managed to point the camera at quite a few birds and think I've identified them all correctly ...... here's a small selection in no particular order.

Carib Grackle

Banaquit

Green Heron

Black-crowned Night-heron

Lesser Antillean Flycatcher

Grey Kingbird

Tropical Mockingbird

Solitary Sandpiper

Spotted Sandpiper

Purple-throated Carib

Shiny Cowbird

Brown Pelican

Masked Booby

Laughing Gull

Common Ground-dove

Sunset behind the Barbados sugar loaders

No comments: