Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Saturday 18 May 2013

Coleophorid ticks

I've not had the garden traps out for a while, and running them last night was a complete waste of time as they were completely empty this morning. It's mid-May for crying out loud. I have managed to add two moths to the garden list though - both coleophorids.

First up, the one I found on silver birch on 6th May is now it it's final case and is recogniseable ...

Coleophora serratella

Then today I found a case on the large sallow that overhangs the garden, and I'm pretty sure on the ID ...

Coleophora lusciniaepennella

The tortrix larva I found on hawthorn last weekend has pupated, should find out what it is before the end on May ...


I also found another probable tortrix sp. feeding in a spinning on my lilac bush - brought in to rear through ...


And here's another couple of larvae from out and about in the square ...

November Moth

Winter Moth

The traps are out again tonight .......

1 comment:

Sam • StarshipSN18 said...

That's a nice variety of early stages you've got there Mark. Hope the rearing is successful!

Sam