Birds, Leps, Observations & Generalities - the images and ramblings of Mark Skevington. Sometimes.

Monday 18 April 2011

Bugs n bits

No moth trapping last night, and a full day at work so nothing to report from the day. I had hoped to get back out down the lane this evening but it had clouded over so I opted to poke around in the garden instead with a cuppa.

It's not like the garden is any size so poking around doesn't take long, but I'm always amazed how easy it is to find new things in such a small space. When I say new things, often it's things that have patently been there and probably have been seen many times before - it's just that I'm more inclined to have a look and try to identify them now. Things like the Dusky and Budapest Slugs, along with the slug Deroceras panormitanum that I found easily yesterday along with the ubiquitous and now identified White-legged Snake Millipede. This evening I found this underneath a bag of compost sitting on the pead gravel desert behind the shed ..

Brandling Worm

Until recently, I only knew that worms existed, not that there were three distinct species in the garden (the others being Common Earthworm and Green Worm).

I also found two new weedy wildflowers growing in the garden. Being a lazy non-gardener there should be more flowering weeds, but like last years Lesser Celandines and Common Dog Violets, Nichola usually finds them and liberates their roots from the ground ..

Cuckooflower

Forget-me-Not

I also grabbed shots with the proper macro camera of a few bits I'd potted up yesterday from the lane ..

Kidney-spot Ladybird

2-Spot Ladybird

Some sort of as-yet unidentified Weevil, maybe a Pea-leaf Weevil?

No comments: